Once we have downed tools, tidied workshops and set Santa on his merry way we can think of no better way to enjoy Christmas Eve than with a glass of eggnog in front of the fire.
Eggnog doesn’t have to contain alcohol but we much prefer it when it does – here is our very merry eggnog recipe!
Very Merry Eggnog Ingredients
- 700ml whole milk
- 300ml double cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 crushed cardamom pods
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds removed (but kept)
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 medium eggs, separated
- 130g granulated sugar
- 300ml dark rum (whiskey can be used)
Very Merry Eggnog Recipe
- Put the milk, cream, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla (pod and seeds), cloves and nutmeg into a pan and gently bring to the boil on a medium heat. Once the mix is boiling, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until completely combined – it’ll be a thick mixture. Slowly whisk in the cooled milk and cream mixture and mix until you are left with a smooth mixture. Add the rum to the mix and pour into a jug, then pop the eggnog into the fridge. This will last up to three days.
- Pour into glasses and sprinkle on a little grated nutmeg for decoration.
- *OPTIONAL* You can beat the remaining egg whites until they create soft peaks and fold this into the eggnog before serving. This gives it a lighter texture.